On 29 May 2023 there will be a special sitting of all Western Australian courts and tribunals. This sitting is for the Western Australian Courts and Tribunals Reconciliation Statement.
For the first time in the state's history, there will be a joint sitting of the heads of jurisdiction of:
- the Supreme Court of Western Australia;
- the District Court of Western Australia;
- the Family Court of Western Australia;
- the Children's Court of Western Australia;
- the Magistrates Court of Western Australia;
- the Coroner's Court of Western Australia; and
- the State Administrative Tribunal.
The Reconciliation Statement is an important formal acknowledgement. It is about the history between the justice system and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in Western Australia.
It sets out the courts and tribunals' commitment of access to justice. Ensuring that the courts and tribunals are culturally sensitive and culturally safe.
The sitting will start at 9am on 29 May 2023 in Court 42 of the David Malcolm Justice Centre.
The sitting will also be livestreamed to all regional courts. There will be a link on the home page of this website to access the livestream.
Last updated: 19 May 2023