Practice Direction 5 of 2023 - Requirements for documents lodged with the Court
To make the Practice Directions accessible we have not used paragraph numbering. If you need this, please see the PDF version.
1. Application of Practice Direction
Documents lodged with the Court must be prepared in accordance with the requirements provided for in this Practice Direction.
This Practice Direction has effect from 1 November 2023.
2. Electronically lodged documents
This Practice Direction does not apply to documents lodged electronically via the Electronic Case Management System.
3. Requirements of documents lodged with the Court
Unless the Court otherwise orders, any document that is lodged with the Court, other than a document lodged electronically:
- must use white A4 paper;
- must, in order to allow the document to be bound with others, have a 5 cm margin on the left of the first side of each sheet of paper and, if the sheet is printed on both sides, a 5 cm margin on the right of the second side of each sheet of paper; and
- must comply with paragraph 3.2; and
- if the document is more than 1 page long, the document:
- must have its pages numbered consecutively in the top right corner; and
- may be printed on both sides of each sheet of paper.
Any document that is lodged other than a document lodged electronically with the Court must be typed using:
- at least 12 point Times New Roman; and
- a line spacing of 1.5; and
- black font colour where possible.
Any written submission in relation to an interlocutory or sentencing hearing is to be no more than 5 pages in length, without leave of the Court.
Any written submission in relation to a trial is to be no more than 10 pages in length, without leave of the Court.
5. Document not prepared for a court matter
This Practice Direction does not apply to a document that is not prepared for a court matter by a party to the matter.
6. Unrepresented party
Compliance by an unrepresented party with this Practice Direction is at the Court's discretion.
Judge Hylton Quail
Children's Court of Western Australia
23 October 2023
Last updated: 24 October 2023