Government of Western Australia State Coat of Arms
Children's Court of Western Australia
Government of Western Australia State Coat of Arms
Children's Court of Western Australia


If you are on bail, you can go home between court dates. An adult will have to sign papers promising that they will make sure you are at court for the next date.

If you do not have an adult to sign bail papers, the Metropolitan Youth Bail Service might be able to help. They can sometimes sign bail papers for young people.

If they do, they are then responsible to supervise you while you are on bail. They also have to make sure you go to court when required.

They can also do a report for the court about you while you were under their supervision.

If you are on bail before sentencing, you will be given a telephone number for a youth justice officer. You must contact them within two days to arrange to see them.

They will have to do a report for the court. It is important that you keep your appointments and stick to the rules of your bail.

It is also important for your parents to go to the appointment with you to see the youth justice officer.

The report by the youth justice officer will include:

  • Information about your background. Where you are from, who you live with, any problems you have at home or school.
  • Information you tell them about the crime. Including how and why it occurred.
  • Other information about you. This could be what you would like to do in the future and any plans you have.

The youth justice officer will also talk to you about the types of sentences the court might give you.

The court might want to get some other reports about you as well. These could include a psychological or psychiatric report. That means you will also have to go to an appointment with them.

Sometimes it can take a bit of time for the reports to be completed and for the court to decide on your sentence.

If you need more information, please contact the Children's Court.

Last updated: 10 April 2024

[ back to top ]